With roses there always seems to be lots of “rules” you should follow. But it is necessary to follow all of them? In this episode we ask, and try to answer, that very question.Michael Marriott has made roses his profession for close to 40 years including 35 years at David Austin Roses in the UK. He has traveled all over the world talking about roses, designing gardens and being an ambassador for common sense rose growing.
This episode is Part 1 of our conversation. It’s broken down into topics to make it easier to start and stop, so you can view the whole episode over time. The list below has the topics and the time mark in minutes:seconds where each topic begins. Feel free to share this video everywhere. That’s why I make them!
- 1:36 – Meet Michael & His Work on a 35 year old neglected garden next door.
- 7:46 – Michael’s horticultural background.
- 11:06 – A passion for roses including his time at David Austin Roses.
- 21:52 – Life after David Austin Roses.
- 24:38 – Myth 1. We should only grow repeat flowering roses.
- 33:28 – Support our small nurseries.
- 36:07 – Myth 2. Only old roses have fragrance & ramblers crash the conversation.
- 41:45 – Myth 3. Own root vs grafted. One is better.
- 49:27 – Myth 4. The “perfect” rose has a high pointed center